Monday 10 June 2013

Monthly Favourites



May and June have been  busy months to say the least, and this I do feel like I have made some major beauty discoveries, having changed a lot of key items in my makeup bag, particularly facial products. All the following I have been using for a month or over, so I can testify to the product working successfully (especially true with the skincare)



L-R: Bioderma, MAC, Estee Lauder, Algenist, Philip B


I gave in and bought two classic and very well reviewed products this month, and both, I can safely say, live up to the hype. If you regularly read beauty blogs and beauty columns, it is near impossible not to have heard of these two! The first is Bioderma Cleanser, which I picked up in Paris when I went in April. This product is available in the UK, but it is very hard to get hold of, so I recommend using Amazon or other online retailers. This is something I use both in my kit and on myself, and has quickly become one of my skincare essentials. It removes every scrap of makeup, is gentle and non-drying (a nice surprise from a water-based cleanser) and has a lovely cooling sensation on the skin. Usually I only use oil/balm cleansers but I love how much cleaner and how refreshed this makes my skin feel.



The other well-loved product which I tried was Estee Lauder’s Double Wear Foundation in shade Ivory Nude. I tried a 10 day free sample from the promotion that they ran and I am completely and totally converted. I love a med-full coverage matte foundation, and Double Wear is the best I have ever tried. It is oil free, but also oil balancing, so it has a lovely non-greasy texture but can be used to balance both oiliness and dryness. It also has a buildable coverage and incredible staying power. I rushed out and bought the full size post pay-day, top marks.



MAC’s Mineralize Skinfinish Natural Powder in shade Light 2 is also an absolute necessity to me these days. I got this about 2 months ago, and I would describe this as a powder for people who don’t like powder. It has the most natural finish on the skin (as the name suggests!) gives a light, but buildable coverage. This is the antithesis of a cakey, heavy, fake-looking powder. Perfect on top of moisturiser for no makeup days, and just as perfect to set even heavy foundation in preparation for a night out. You need a brush to apply it, rather than a sponge, which may be a downside to some, but I promise you, it is so worth it.



From oldies to newbies, Algenist’s new Multi-Perfecting Pore Corrector Gel Moisturiser is a real find. Perfect for summer months, this moisturiser has a light gel texture and is oil free. The Alguronic Acid is repairing, protecting and regenerative to the skin, while Salicylic Acid helps to clear blocked pores. This product is instantly absorbed and boosts radiance, refines the surface of the skin and locks in moisture. I have combination skin and this suits me down to the ground. I use it morning and night, at night over a serum to add a little extra moisture.




The final product that really stood out for me this month was one which I have a minor obsession with, Philip B’s Oud Royal Perfect Finish Shaping Fiber. Yes it has a rather cryptic name, but don’t let that put you off. This is a shaping and styling wax for the hair. Grab a fingerful, get it in the palm of your hands and clap your hands until the product gets gummy and white fibres start to fly in all directions (this part is pretty weird first time you do it) Then work into your hair at the roots to give tonnes of volume and shape, or at the tips to enhance curls. The best thing is that the product disappears almost instantly but leaves your hair weightless. Again, this one is a little tricky to get hold of but I promise you your money and efforts will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot live without my Estee Lauder Double Wear and MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural Powder! Although I do prefer using a MAC powder puff to apply this (I think they're £4 for 2) then use a brush to even out and remove the excess. Dying to try the Bioderma cleanser xo

    ReplyDelete

It's always lovely to hear from you! Thank you for reading this post, please leave me a comment

Rhiannon xx